Needed: A New Family for Holcomb Rock

A new chapter for Holcomb Rock:

My children's father, Tom Berkeley, and I saved Holcomb Rock in 1983. We scraped the exterior paint, treated the clapboards with a mixture of linseed oil and turpentine before painting it, fixed the holes in the walls and the floors, added heat, added plumbing.

My children grew up there. Now at least part of the work and much of the work I had hoped to complete needs doing. The house is much too big for either of us, and is silent without the sound of play and visitors.

Our chapter at Holcomb Rock is over, and now we are looking for the next family for a house that has always had families and has out survived all but a few.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Letter About the House

This is a transcription of a letter written to Sally Oglesby Disharon in 1978. I believe this letter was written to Jim Meriwether, who was researching the house. I'm unclear on some of it because of the copy I have.

My knowledge of the little school house is not very helpful .... See? if Margaret's memory is partially clear, She could give you a better history. She and Emily were in boarding school in 1904 that first winter attending school to Louise- Your Dad, Mary Walker and I, as I recall  it was Louise's first year teaching  Miss Annie Phillips had been their governess (an excellent one) I have no idea how long she had taught then. I recall that Flora Williams was a pupil and I believe the three Steptoes attended school there.

Miss Bessie Talliferro (I guessed at spelling) was a teacher prior to Miss Annie. The ... the little classroom was then some before their knowledge. You probably know the place was inherited by Cousin Em from her father James Harris, a forable? person as was his wife, my parents fond? there and enjoyed their house.
Cousin Em and my father were 1/ first cousins. Their house was a real joy in my life. Mary Walker and your Dad as sister and brother. Our children, too, found their experiences there and look back with fondness and interest. Leslie always asks news .... he cherishes time they (love after their of Bill) he enjoyed as a youngster.

Personal information deleted here. Mary Walker was like her mother a whole? fine person . I loved all- Your Dad was a tease so we got it.


No comments: